Saturday, December 22, 2007

Over the river and through the woods . . .

Tonight we trek to the snowy North. Jonathan and Gus are playing at the park and running errands and I am packing. We will be in Boston until the 3oth. I plan on writing the blog while we are there and adding pictures to it when we get home.

Despite all the snot and fevers we have had a couple of days full of firsts. On Thursday, Theo put an inanimate object in his mouth for the first time. Very exciting! It was the winkle.


I ran to get the camera but by the time I got back it was no longer in his mouth.

And then yesterday Theo was graping at the animals on the play mat. I sort of captured this.




And Gus took a break from getting ready for the tub to help him out.



Gus also had a first--an argument with Daddy. At least it was the first time he has communicated with words that he was upset with one of us. He got up at two am yesterday and never really got back to sleep despite lots of rocking, singing, and snuggling from Jonathan and me ("No pick Theo. Pick Gus"). Around five, desperate for sleep, we caved and let him in bed with us. He slept for maybe 5 minutes and then started babbling about buses and Auntie May's house (I guess he was thinking about our trip) and very purposely kicking Jonathan in the back. Jonathan lost his patience (understandably) and yelled at him.

At this point we gave up on sleep and I brought Gus down to the kitchen for breakfast. When we were heading down stairs I called up to Jonathan to ask him something and Gus cut me off and said "No Jonathan." He apparently was just as upset with Jonathan. After a while Jonathan came down to the kitchen and said "Hi Gus," and Gus said "Gus no hi Daddy." Jonathan said hello again and Gus again replied very emphatically, "Gus No Hi Daddy." This amused and saddened Jonathan. I was just amused. But the best was when I asked Jonathan if he wanted coffee and Gus said, "NO. No coffee for Daddy." He really knows how to punish a guy. Thankfully, they made up while I was taking a shower and Gus let Jonathan take a mug of coffee to work.

Jonathan and Gus just got back from the park. Gus is telling me he "kicked the big ball." Jonathan says he was playing ball in the fountain with a four year old named Ben. When Ben left with the big ball he told his mother, "I like that Gus. He is an excellent ball player!" Hopefully, Gus's ball skills aren't at their peak at 22 months. It would be nice to have an athlete in the family.

No comments: