This morning, like every morning, Gus woke us up with pleas for milk. But this morning he requested "half a pound of milk." Yesterday afternoon Gus rode his tricycle with PopPop to the grocery store to buy a half gallon of milk, so I guess that was on his mind. Pounds, gallons, so much to keep straight. I wonder if he was picturing himself drinking it right from the jug?
After drinking a cup of milk and eating breakfast we went to the "touch me museum." We had a lovely visit until it was time to leave. No matter how I phrase it or how much warning I give Gus, he still throws himself on the ground and kicks and screams and everyone looks at us. And then, with Theo strapped to the front of me in the Bjorn, I pick up Gus and carry him to the coat room. He calms down there because there is a liquid soap dispenser that he likes to use, but once he washes of the "touch me germs" he starts crying again while I wrestle him (with Theo strapped to the front of me) to get his coat on. Today, a very nice great-grandmother offered to put Gus's coat on for me and Gus screamed, "Lady no touch my coat!" She was a little taken aback and I was a bit embarrassed. Gus then said to me, quite upset, "That lady no go to my pizza party." Why he would assume we would invite her baffles me. Maybe everyone we see is a possible guest. He must think about this pizza party an awful lot.
When Gus got up from not taking a nap, I changed his diaper. While he was on the changing pad he said "I go see Theo dor." I could not understand what he thought Theo was doing. He said it a few more times. "I go see Theo dor." Then I heard it. Theodore. A few weeks ago I told him that Theo's full name is Theodore. I said, "Theodore?" And he said "His big name. My big name Gus Thomas Schoenfeld." So I told him that Theo's big name is Theodore Bernard Schoenfeld, which he repeated and then said "My big name Gussy Thomas Schoenfeld." I call him Gussy sometimes. I wonder if he is going to wish he had a formal name. Maybe we should have named him August (my preference) or Gustav (Jonathan's preference). But really we both just like Gus. Maybe we should have named Theodore, Theo. Or Mack. Oh well.
The final funny happening of the day took place in the bath tub. While Gus was taking his bath and Theo was excersaucering in the doorway, I sang songs to entertain them. After a few rounds of 'Five Little Ducks,' Gus requested 'Old MacDonald.' In the past couple of weeks Gus has started singing it with us and will tell us what animals are on the farm. Fish is always the first animal. Sure, why not? There could be a pond of fish on the farm. (For the record fish make a kissy sound.) So we did the fish, and started again. And on the farm he had a ??? "Penis," Gus said. "A what?" I asked, sure that I did not hear that right. "A penis," he confirmed looking at his. (For the record a penis says pee.) I definitely do not want to work that into the lineup, so no more Ee-i-ee-i-o in the bath tub.
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, that's the funniest story!
They're going to love hearing these when they are a bit older. I definitely remember a "tell me about me as a baby" phase in my own pre-adolescence :)
Post a Comment