Gus pooped on the potty this evening! It was actually a pretty low key happening.
Our new, two-boy bedtime routine starts with Gus sitting on the potty while I bathe and dress Theo. Then I draw Gus's bath (which he now likes to take in Theo's bitty tub) and he gets off the potty and into his bath. Tonight he asked to get back on the potty when he got out of the bath. He was not talking about poop or pee, so I thought he was just procrastinating, but agreed.
After a minute or so I thought I heard something hit the water and asked him if he pooped. He said, "No, I pass gas." Then I heard another plop and he said "more gas, more gas. " I peaked down the back of the bowl, did not see anything, and then congratulated him on passing gas on the potty. He was really excited about it. We even called Jonathan to tell him about the gas. It seemed big at the time.
Jonathan was only a block away, so I gave Gus Blue Hat, Green Hat to read, in hopes of keeping him on the potty until Jonathan got home so I could pass off getting him dressed. (Yes, I do things like this. It is a long day.)
And Gus started reading it! This was way more exciting than potty gas. Of course he was not really reading it, but he was able to look at each picture and recite the text exactly as it appears. I have liked this book for a long while (at first I strongly disliked all the Boynton books) but I never appreciated the genius of it until Gus "read" it this evening. He was giddy over it.
Jonathan got home and took over in the bathroom. After listening to Gus read, Jonathan got him off the potty and found two poops! He showed them to Gus who was excited, though mostly about flushing. He did not really appear to know that he had done this. Gus told Jonathan he had just done it, but I think it was the gas.
So my scheme to avoid dressing Gus lead me to hear him read for the first time :) But I missed the first poop :(
Or, I missed the first poop :)
No comments:
Post a Comment