Thursday, January 17, 2008

Recent conversations with Gus

While trying to change a very fidgety Gus's diaper:

A: Hey, Schoeny, stay still.
G: I'm not Tony.
A: I said Schoeny. What should I call you?
G: Gus. Big Boy! [Laughs] That's funny.

--------------------

Upon smelling a stinky diaper.

A: What's that I smell?
G: It's garlic.

Earlier I had let him help peel and press garlic.

--------------------

An hour after putting Gus to bed he woke up. I sat with him on my lap and we talked about things we did during the day.

G: I funny. I made big lady laugh.
A: The cashier at the grocery store? (She is a very large woman.)
G: Yes, the big lady laugh at Gus.
A: Am I a big lady?
G: No. Mama a baby lady. Little lady.

I love this kid.

--------------------
Gus and I were sitting on the couch watching Arthur, when it suddenly went off the air. Probably because of the snow.

G: I want walk to my party now.
A: What party?
G: Birthday party. Pizza guy comes.
A: You want pizza at your birthday party?
G: Pizza guy give Gus present. I want blue cake. Like Owen.
A: You want a birthday cake like Cousin Owen's?
G: I want croquet balls. Croquet balls! Walk there. Now.

--------------------

I was taking laundry out of the dryer, including Theo's little giraffe toy. Theo was in the pack 'n play and Gus was playing in the room.

A: Gus, would you please give this giraffe to Theo?

Gus came over, got the giraffe and tossed it in the pack 'n play.

G: Say thank you, Theo.

--------------------

We went to the Please Touch Museum on Tuesday. All day yesterday and today Gus said:

"I go museum."
"I go museum?"
"I go touch me museum."
"Touch me museum, okay."
"Please touch me museum, yes."
"Museum. Yup."
"Go touch me museum."

--------------------

Over the past week or so Gus has started saying, "How are you," and "Where are you," but he does not say the "how" or "where." So when he is looking for me, it is, "Mummy, are you?" and when he is pretend talking on the phone it is, "Allo? Are you?" Different inflections but both sound like he is a Frenchman speaking English.

--------------------

Putting Gus to bed for the second time.

A: I love you. We will play more tomorrow but now it's goodnite.
G: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! CROQUET BALLS!

No comments: