Wednesday, January 27, 2010

art & anxiety

 
The boys made their first trips to the Philadelphia Museum of Art today. Gus was with his class and Theo was with me. Gus had a good time once he got into the museum. He had a meltdown in the parking garage because he did not want to take the elevator with Theo. About a year ago Theo pushed the alarm button in an elevator and more recently called an operator. Lately Gus has been so anxious about getting in elevators with Theo that he has tried to turn down birthday party invitations and to convince me to shop at an alternative grocery store. He was so scared in the art museum parking garage that we finally took the stairs.

Theo encountered his own fears once Gus went off with his class. For about five minutes the two of us were having so much fun wandering around the halls that I was considering reinstating my museum membership, when all of a sudden Theo realized Gus was not with us. He broke into tears and was screaming "Where's Gussy. Where's my Brother." I thought I could calm him down by leading him around on a "search for Gus's class" but it just made him more anxious and loud. The guards shushed us everywhere we went until I gave up and took him to the gift shop to read books. We read for 45 minutes then went to the cafe and had a muffin. We spent the last 10 minutes in the West Wing lobby playing with my camera.

When Gus's class let out, Theo charged Gus, wrapped his arms around him and said, "I love you soooo much." And then, "Gus I have a question for you. I love you so much." And then it was back to the parking garage for more elevator drama.

 
photo by Theo

No comments: