Gus and I played trains while Theo napped and after he woke up we headed out on the trike to get some birthday gelato.
Gelato was the plan for my birthday but I could not go because of the tooth ache and root canal. We were half way to Capogiro, when Gus said, "Mummy, no gelato. I want to go to playground." Man. I was really looking forward to gelato, but it was Gus's birthday so we headed to the park. After a few more blocks on the trike Gus decided he wanted to walk. And then he started getting all these phone calls on our old decommissioned cell phone.
The playground was not as crowded as I would have expected for a seventy-degree day in February. I guess the threat of rain kept people away. But the preschool classes were there, and Gus had fun "chasing the big kids."
He took a break from running to ride the sew-saw-ish thing with Theo and me . . .
And to do a little steering of the big wheel . .
Since Jonathan was working and would not be home early enough for birthday cake, I had decided that I would just wait for his party on Sunday to make one. But then I changed my mind and made cupcakes while Gus was napping, which was good because when he woke up he was asking for the snowman cake. After the last cake broke, I ate the Junior Mints that were suppose to be the snowmen's hats, but I think they looked cute anyway.
Since it was just the two of us (Theo was sleeping) and I was not feeling well (horrible sore throat and cough), I tried to give Gus the cupcake without any hoopla, but he said, "Candle on it." He really gets the whole birthday thing. Once I put one candle on it he said, "I'm two. Two candles." Who taught him this?
I had to keep the cupcake back so I could snap a picture without worrying about him grabbing the flames. And no snowman. It would have caught on fire, and Gus has been so sensitive lately ("no monkeys," "no drive in the dark,") that I was sure that would have freaked him out. So I gave it to him after.
A lot has changed in the past year. Gus now walks, climbs, throws, talks, sings. New home. New brother. And now Gus likes cupcakes.
No comments:
Post a Comment