Friday, March 7, 2008

Aquarium

Gus, Theo and I finally made it across the Delaware to Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ. What a great aquarium! I hate to say it, but it makes the New England Aquarium look, well, boring (though Boston has many more penguins). The shark exhibit is amazing. There is a glass tunnel in the middle of the shark tank that you can hang out in. The sharks are all around and it is pretty freaky. You can even pet sharks.

I don't know why, but this aquarium has two hippos. They keep them in this very cool, but stinky, display that allows you to watch them from all sorts of heights and angles, including from underwater (though they did not venture in to the water while we were there). Gus and his friend Jake loved the hippo area, and I do mean area. I think they watched the hippos for all of 45 seconds and then spent a good half hour running up and down all the ramps and stairs, and chasing the birds that roam free in the exhibit.

Gus really was not so interested in looking at anything at the aquarium. He was too busy running, but he did touch a starfish and watched the scuba diver show (Jake and Gus were adorable sitting in the amphitheater, snaking on dried fruit and animal crackers without taking their eyes of the tank). Theo seemed to enjoy looking at all the fish and people. He was awake for the entire visit.

But by far, the best thing about the aquarium was the aftermath. Gus was so tired when we got home that he fell asleep on the floor while watching Curious George. This was a very welcomed first. We purchased a membership and we will definitely be making trips to the aquarium whenever we have energy that needs to be burned.

No comments: