Monday, March 17, 2008

Party, party, party!

What a boring Monday after party, party, partying all weekend long. On Saturday night we went to a one-month birthday celebration (a Chinese custom) for Linh and Dennis's new baby, Ava. It was at a restaurant in Chinatown. We were a bit afraid when we entered the lobby and found a tank of, oh about 65 huge frogs. Many of the 11 courses (!) that were served where not our thing (jelly fish, crab and fish stomach soup) but I was impressed that Gus and Jonathan tried the exotic fare and we had a lot of fun. Theo mostly slept under the table in the car seat. And my old boss from Pew was there! And at our table (she is dating one of Linh's friends)! Small, small world.

Sunday morning we headed down to The Jump Zone in Columbia for cousin Benjamin's 3rd birthday celebration. After the long car ride, Gus was a little slow to partake in the fun, but he eventually went in a moon bounce type of thing that had a slide. Then it was juice and cupcakes and party favors. You have not seen a happier kid than Gus when he opened his Cookie Monster lunch bag to find five "little popsicles!" (lollipops). He has been hankering for one ever since we confiscated the Blowpop he received at the St. Patrick's Day parade.

Then Sunday evening we went to the family Purim party. For those of you not familiar with Purim, here is a link to the Wikipedia entry on it. But basically it is a holiday for remembering (and retelling) how the Jews escaped annihilation in Persia. Kids like it because it involves costumes and tasty treats. College students like it because the retelling is a drinking game (whenever the name 'Hamen' is read you drink). Few costumes (Gus would not wear his, grrrrrr. . . ) and no drinking at our party. Instead, we had a nice meal with PopPop's side of the family and were entertained by "Energy Eric." The show was about 40 minutes long and Gus watched the whole thing, and unlike me, who was holding her ears in fear of explosions, only showed a few moments of unease.

Robert, Ada, Gus, Noah (in costume--my kind of kid!), Maddy and Ella watching the science show.

Dry ice! I would have been running for the hills at Gus's age . . .

but Gus jumped right in.

I am not sure what these smoke rings were all about. I was with Theo, cowering in the back.

Theo had fun, too.

Jonathan, Uncle Michael, Grandma and Theo


Gus and Ada. I think there is a resemblance here.

Gus was very much at home the whole party and ditched us to run around with his cousins. There is nothing more fun than running around with cousins. It was a great night, though, I wish Gus would have worn his costume. Not even PopPop modeling it could coax him into it.


I hope Gus will wear his costume to our neighbor's Purim party on Friday. I am getting a little tired of making costumes that do not get worn. I know these costumes were not requested, but that is hardly the point. What good is it being a mom if you cannot dress your kids up in costumes?

No comments: