Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Teatime at 2042

Gus has been very interested in tea for a few months now. If he is pretending to drink something and you ask him what it is, it is always tea. Jonathan and I do not drink tea often, but many of Gus's favorite literary friends (Curious George, Spot, Corduroy)do, so it makes sense that he would want to, too. Peer pressure. His desire for tea has seemed so strong that I use it as a bribe. Every night, right before I put him to bed I tell him he can have tea for breakfast if he goes to sleep without waking up Theo. Most nights he does fall asleep without waking up Theo, but until Tuesday morning he has never asked for his reward.

So I pulled out my teapot and he started to cry "No a blue teapot." Spot has a blue teapot. Tea did not end up happening that morning, but we did have a nice "tea party" on Wednesday. Chamomile tea and rice cakes (they were the closest things to cookies we had in the cupboard). I offered him honey (which he loves in yogurt)but he was totally insulted and screeched "no honey in my tea." He looked so cute stirring the tea and it was so nice to do something that did not involve sporting equipment. Now I have grand plans for throwing teas for Gus and his little friends. I'll make scones and buy clotted cream. It will be great!



Of course when Gus finished his tea it was right back to the sporting equipment.


Hockey?


No, not today.


Today skiing.

No comments: