Sunday, June 22, 2008

overheard at 2042 . . .

"Look, Mumma. I'm cutting Theo."
"Gus, do not cut Theo."
"I am cutting him gently."

Gus pretending to cut Theo with the thermometer from his doctor's kit.

"Daddy, shake your body. Now!"
Gus "asking" Jonathan to dance when a song came on the radio that he liked while we were eating dinner. He sure has mastered that bossy two-year-old thing.

"I want some sushi. I want some sushi, NOW! I want Uncle Michael take me for sushi."
Gus cried this all the way home from our walk last night after I pointed out some people eating sushi. Since neither Jonathan nor I like sushi, I told Gus that Uncle Michael would take him out for sushi. Don't let us down, Michael.

and my absolute favorite,

"Gus, put that hatchet back where you found it."
Don't worry. It was not a real hatchet, but the one from the Fischer Price camping set. It was up on the kitchen counter because Gus had been "chopping" things that he should not chop. I laughed so hard when I heard Jonathan say this. A few months back I read an article in a parents' magazine about things you never imagined you would ever say (like "do not lick the bottom of your shoes"), and this struck me as fitting that bill.

No comments: