Friday, July 4, 2008

happy fourth! play ball!



Our Fourth celebrations were very low key this year. We played ball at Rittenhouse, made hamburgers and corn on the grill, went out for water ice for desert, put the boys to bed and then watched the Boston Pops on tv and the Philly fireworks from our balcony (no Pinckney Street--but at least we could see the high ones). I decided to wake Gus up for the fireworks. He was sound asleep but when asked if he wanted to see the fireworks he said, "Yes, of course." So I picked him up and carried him into our room, but he was still very much asleep and kept burying his head in my neck. He could not even open his eyes, so I put him back to bed and then watched the rest of them with Jonathan out in the rain. It was a quiet but nice day. And I took a lot of good pictures (if I do say so myself). Here are some of them.

THEO PLAYING BALL




GUS PLAYING BALL


Gus played ball with an Isabella, Max and Devon, all new park friends, and Jonathan. He was so serious and so good about letting the others have turns with the bat, ball and glove. He is getting really good at throwing and hitting the ball. Catching? Why catch when you can just run after it and pick it up. Devon's father, who lives across from the real baseball field, said Gus "has talent" and is ready to play with the three-year-olds! Too funny. But my absolute favorite part of the game was when Gus decided it was his turn to be the catcher. He was crouched down and doing something with his hand near his mouth. Jonathan said, "Gus are you putting grass in your mouth?" and Gus said, "No, I am putting on my mask." We do not know where he is learning all this stuff, since we have not been watching any games.


Batter


Catcher


Outfielder


Pitcher


I do not recall what position he was playing, but he was throwing with a lot of determination.

THEO WATCHING GUS PLAY BALL


THEO IS EASILY DISTRACTED

by me


by people on the bench next to ours


by dogs


by the bench

AND AT HOME

Grungy after playing all day, but together. So hard to get these two.

No comments: