Sunday, July 20, 2008

the park tour--part one

We are back from our week with Grammy and Grandpa in Boston. The theme of this visit was 'the park.' We visited quite a few.

UNION PARK STREET PLAYGROUND, South End

On Saturday we headed in town to Union Park Street to check out the new park that replaced the construction site that was the view from our old apartment. While we lived there it seemed that park would never be finished, so we were so excited to see it and play there with Gus. But Gus quickly nixed it when we found no slide and no shade. It is a large and pretty park, and will be great when the trees mature. The playground equipment is really cool, a la Smith Playhouse, but too "big kid" for us right now. No pictures--it was too bright.

So we headed up the street to our old playground.

RINGGOLD PLAYGROUND, South End



Though we were back in our old playground, it was a completely new experience. The last time we were there it was late fall and Gus was younger than Theo is now, and therefore basically confined to the swings. So not the case now.


Gus loves a playground with sand.


Can you imagine cleaning up from this every day?

Theo swung on the swings and hung out on the slide.


No sand!


And with Jonathan.

LARZ ANDERSON PARK, Brookline

On Sunday, Jonathan flew home to Philly and the boys and I hit Larz Anderson's with Grammy and Grandpa. Gus and I played on the jungle gyms while Theo swung and played with Grammy and Grandpa. After watching a little softball, and playing with the ball and bat that we are never without, we headed to the pond to look for the ducks. The ducks were not there, but the giant koi and karp were, so Grammy fed them bits of the bread she brought with her. Gus asked her for a piece of bread, and then promptly ate it. We got a good chuckle out of that. After running back and forth over the little pond bridge and throwing pebbles into the water we headed back to Grammy and Grandpa's. No pictures--I forgot the camera.

On Sunday evening Uncle Jerry and Amy Dog came over for dinner. Gus was more comfortable with Amy Dog than he was last time, but still cautious. But Theo, no fear. He kept trying to pull her tail and stick his hand in her mouth. (I have to get Grandpa to email the pictures.) Theo followed Amy Dog around all evening and she happily sat under his chair while he ate. Every dog should be so lucky. Gus, always trying to make connections, declared "Mumma, Amy Dog is your brother!" More like a cousin.

CASTLE ISLAND, South Boston



I think Castle Island is my favorite place on Earth. (Yes, earth! It is better than NYC, the Grand Canyon, not Aruba or Paris, but it is still my favorite.) It is so beautiful, even with its industrial drek. I love it. I love the breeze, I love that it is always crowded, and I love that everyone there is so laid back. There is an amazing energy there, I think from all the activity: walking, running, rollerblading, biking, scooter-ing (more on that later!), fishing, boating, swimming, kiting, people-watching, plane-watching, picnicking, playground-ing, fort-touring, dog-walking, painting, martial art-ing. You can do anything there! And I feel close to my Grandpa G. there.


Theo was impressed.


And look! Old school playground animals that I played on here, and at our park down at the river. Not as exciting as a twirling tower of terror, for sure.

The point of our Tuesday visit was scooting. Grammy and Grandpa ran out and got Gus a scooter after seeing how seriously into them he was at Larz Anderson. Sadly, Grammy had to go into work and could not join us on the first scooter outing. When I told Jonathan about our plans to take the scooter to Castle Island he said, "Do you think that is a good idea? He could fall into the harbor." So it was a good thing that Linda wanted to come with us. Having a nurse with us surely brought Jonathan some piece of mind. And us some extra fun. I think Gus is in love with Linda, or "that lady," as he called her for three days.


Linda, a stranger, Grandpa and Theo all watching that Gus does not get too close to the water.

No comments: