Monday, July 21, 2008

the park tour--part two

TOT LOT, Westwood

On Wednesday we visited Debby and Delia, and after playing for a bit in their park-size backyard we headed down the street to their playground. You would think after four different playgrounds we would have seen everything, but not so. The Tot Lot had some fun teeter-totter thingys and a very cool jungle gym with a rope wall. Gus enjoyed playing with Delia. I do not think he realized that she is almost a year younger than he is. He kept sitting on her and then while playing chase he tackled her. I had my camera but did not take any pictures. The Tot Lot is a wood chip playground so I was preoccupied with keeping the wood chips out of Theo's mouth, which was all the more complicated with Gus sitting on and tackling little Delia. I wish I had taken pictures. The three of them were so cute. Especially on the teeter-totters.

YORK'S WILD KINGDOM, York Maine



On Thursday, after nice visits with Joan and Matt and May, we took the boys to York's Wild Kingdom, a zoo and amusement park. During the summer at my Grandpa C's house, if someone was whining, it was most likely because they wanted to go here and the adults were not moving quickly enough. The park is pretty much as I remember it. Lots of fun houses and lots of rides for little kids.

We started off at the animal park. Theo liked watching the animals, especially the monkeys. He was laughing at them with his adorable little rolling laugh as they wrestled and swung around their cage. Gus was fixated on the rides that he has seen on the way in. The only things he got excited about, or spent any time looking at, were the ducks and the remote control boats near the duck pond. The rest of the time he was whining, "I want to go on the train! NOW!"

Grammy, Grandpa, and I were shocked at how quickly and fearlessly he jumped on each kiddie ride. And he went on all of them, the train, boats, swings, helicopter and the Ferris wheel. He is usually interested but cautious with new things, but there was absolutely no hesitation. And he played two games. A water shooting game and a ball toss. He got two of the three balls in the basket for the ball toss and won a prize! But when asked which prize he wanted he pointed to the balls. He just wanted to play again. The lady working the game thought this was funny and let him do it again. He got them all in and he would have played all night if the lady had not made him take a prize and move along. He is now the proud owner of a huge blow-up guitar, which we left a Grammy's because Theo kept trying to chew on it.



I wish I had better pictures. The whole time we were at the park I complained about forgetting my camera, only to find it in my bag when we got home. You would think this was Mary Poppin's bag the way I loose things in it, but it is actually very small. The camera barely fits in it.


GRAMMY & GRANDPA'S WATER PARK, Dedham



Okay, we did not got to a park on Friday. Even better, Grandpa set up a really big sprinkler in his yard and Kate and Chloe came over and played in it with us.





Chloe was not as impressed with it as Gus was. She headed in to hang out with Theo while Gus soaked himself into drowned-rat status.



When Chloe arrived at Grammy's Gus ran up to her and said, "I love you best of all. Chloe is my best friend." It was very sweet. But Gus may have competition from Theo. Theo likes Chloe, too. And Chloe likes to hold Theo.

And finally . . .

LARZ ANDERSON PARK

On Saturday I picked Jonathan up at the airport and we took the boys back to Larz Anderson to tucker them out for the long car ride home. We met up with Grammy and Grandpa for lunch and the went back to their house to pack. Uncle Kevin and Linda came over to hang out with us until we had to go. It was a great week and we were sad to go. Thanks Grammy and Grandpa.

No comments: